POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Request: new simple pattern : Re: Request: new simple pattern Server Time
8 Aug 2024 10:22:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Request: new simple pattern
From: 25ct
Date: 7 Jan 2001 09:43:58
Message: <3a5880ae@news.povray.org>
"Mick Hazelgrove" <mic### [at] mhazelgrovefsnetcouk> wrote in message
> But Runes suggestion would be easily available to many users who do not
have
> your mathmatical skills. Or do not frequent these newsgroups.
>
> Not to start a war because I think Pov and its creators are wonderful. All
> to often programs are written by very clever people who don't always
realise
> how thick the user is!  I'm an artist I trained for many years as one, my
> mathamatical skills and programing skills are very limited. I do not have
> much time to learn mathamatics at the level you lot work at and at 55 find
> that level of thinking increasingly difficult. At the same time my
artistic
> skills continue to improve and grow.
>
> All I ask is an awarness from the cleverer members of our fraternity that
> there is a diversity of users with different needs, which is why I think
as
> many facilities as possible should be programed directly into Pov in as
> simple and easy way to understand and use as possible.
>
> After all those clever people can always amuse themselves by wrinting
> patches for mathamatical dummies like me.
>
> Mick

     Hi, Mick. I agree, and would like to add to this too.  I am a complete
novice at this, and as such, find it difficult to even 'move' a cylinder
properly. I understand how it moves, but find that the time it takes to move
it, (and sphere's, triangles, cubes, etc.), is daunting, for me anyway.

     I've been thinking for some time now that 'if' a code could be produced
to move these basic items around, then time could be saved.

     My idea would be for someone to produce a code that 'finds' the centre
of these shapes in the render window, and then, by clicking your mouse on
the shape, and holding down, just move the shape to at least where you want
it to go, rather than taking 30 minutes to get it there in the first place.

  My understanding of computers is very limited in this field,
 so, is this feasible, at all, team?  Or am I missing something?

    ~Steve~